Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A Mother

I still have a hard time believing that I am a mother. It has been quite the adjustment, but I truly am loving every moment of it.

Eleanor arrived 11 days early on January 11th at 9:27 am. I had been on bed rest since December 28th for high blood pressure, which was difficult because I still had so much to do before she arrived. I also had to go into the hospital twice a week for a non stress test to monitor Eleanor and make sure she was still getting the oxygen that she needed. On January 10th I went in for my test expecting everything to be fine and to just go home and rest, but unfortunately my amniotic fluid was too low so my doctor decided to have me check into the hospital right then and start inducing me.

I was in shock and terrified, but also excited. I called Kevin and my mom and then proceeded to my room. It took three nurses and 6 painful pricks to get my IV started so things did not get off to a very good start. Kevin showed up 2 hours later and I started to freak out a little less.

My progress was slow and I was finally able to get the epidural around midnight- 13 hours after I checked into the hospital. They broke my water around 3 am and my progress was still pretty slow. At 8 am my doctor came in to check me and said I was finally ready to push! And after about an hour and a half of pushing our little Eleanor Ann Anderson was born! She was absolutely perfect and I didn't want to let her go. She weighed in at 6 lbs 5 ozs and was 19 inches long. A lot smaller than I thought she was going to be.

Although it was a long process of almost 22 hours of labor, she is worth every second. I can't imagine what my life was without her. I think she is so beautiful and I am so grateful to call her mine!

No comments: